Exciting opportunity – Woodland and Country Park Manager
This is an exciting opportunity to join an ambitious local charity to manage and preserve Buxton’s community woodlands for nature and for people.
Job title: Woodland and Country Park Manager
Location: Buxton, Derbyshire
Salary: £27,000 – £33,000 p.a. salary will depend on experience of appointee.
Contract type: Full-time, permanent role
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 5th October 2022
Buxton Civic Association (BCA) is a registered charity established in 1967 to conserve the human and natural environment of Buxton.
We currently manage nine woodlands around Buxton (77ha), including the 40ha Grinlow wood. This SSSI with high quality limestone flora in the glades and industrial archaeology was designated Buxton Country Park in 1970.
All the woods are managed for wildlife conservation, recreation and landscape. They are permanently open to the public.
BCA also own and manage Poole’s Cavern show cave visitor and educational attraction and host Buxton’s Go Ape high wire adventure course at Buxton Country Park.
About the role
As Woodland and Country Park Manager, you will be responsible for managing all our woodlands including Buxton Country Park to benefit wildlife, landscape, and visitors.
The Woodland and Country Park Manager will;
• Review and update management plans for all of our woods
• Produce a work plan and regular reports
• Undertake ecological and woodland survey work with other staff, volunteers and contractors
• Implement the management plans and undertake or supervise practical work to improve the woodland habitat and manage any health and safety issues
• Ensure woodland infrastructure such as paths, steps, walls and gates are maintained
• Liaise with external bodies such as Natural England and the Forestry Commission to gain appropriate permissions for works
• Manage the woodlands budget, including appointing and supervising contractors
• Work with the Stronger Roots Community Engagement Officer to develop the educational and community uses of the woods
• Manage the Conservation Volunteers Group and further develop volunteering opportunities
• Provide a wardening presence in the woods and help resolve issues with different users of the woods
• Be responsible for health and safety across all woodland works, tools and vehicles
• Manage the Woodlands Assistant to achieve the above
• Work closely with and prepare reports for the BCA Woodlands Committee and Woodland Management team
• Be part of BCA’s Senior Management Team
How to apply
Before applying, please read the documents attached to this page;
– Job description (which includes the person specification)
– Background to the BCA woods
– Application form
To apply, please download and complete the application form, and then email it together with your CV to Will.Ward@buxtoncivicassociation.org.uk by the deadline of end of the day on Wednesday 5th October 2022.
We anticipate holding interview for the role w/c 17th October.
If you have any questions related to the application process, please email Will.Ward@buxtoncivicassociation.org.uk